Sunday, December 26, 2010

Best Apps for iPhone and iPad

Santa brought you your new iPhone, ok, so now what?  How does this iTunes thingy work?  What applications are the most popular, and which ones can I get some actual use out of?  Ok, whether its iPhone or iPad, applications will run on both.  There are some applications or “apps” that have an iPhone and iPad version.   Any app that runs on an iPhone will run on an iPad.  The iTunes store will show you whether there is a specific iPad version.
 I am no big fan of iTunes.  You will have to initially marry your i-device to a PC through iTunes to activate it.  iTunes will back up your phone/tablet for you too.  You can also use iTunes to subscribe to podcasts and download other fun stuff.  I find it cumbersome to say the least.  I tried out a couple of podcasts and found it awkward to plug up my device every day to download the podcasts.  As a result, I just found the content I was subscribing to available on demand via website and gave up on podcasts.  Some of you might be more diligent, but not me.  I prefer to get my content – apps, songs, podcasts – direct from over the air.  I don’t often tether my devices to my PC and just use a standalone charger and dock to charge my devices.  Rarely do I use iTunes.
Ok, what about apps?  Here’s my list to try out.  Most of them are free.
Angry Birds - It goes without saying that you’ll have to download Angry Birds.  Its a simple game in which you shoot birds at well protected pigs who have stolen the birds’ eggs.  It’s a physics game, and as such, every game is different.  Try it, it’s addictive.
Google Search -  Google’s voice recognition is beyond the pale.  I’ve used this application often while driving.  You pick up the phone, activate the Google search and then just speak into your phone.  The recognition is very accurate.  Sure beats typing on the tiny keyboard, which I wouldn’t advise while driving anyway. 
Flipboard.  This application is just beautiful on the iPad.  It integrates with Twitter and Facebook in a whole new way and displays your social media websites as a magazine.  It was voted application of the year by Apple.
Zinio – another application that looks incredible on the iPad.  Zinio is for magazines what iTunes is for songs.  You can subscribe electronically to e-versions of magazines. Consider it your electronic magazine newsstand.
Dropbox – you should use this even if you don’t have an iPad or an iPhone.  Dropbox is a virtual folder.  Up to 1gig of storage is free.  It works just like a network shared drive.  Installing a small application on any PC or device connected to the internet joins your network and makes your file available on any number of PC’s, phones or tablet devices.  No more emailing to yourself!  Saving and moving files around on a PC get a bit cumbersome using iTunes.  Dropbox makes it much easier.
Skype – you can put Skype on your iPhone or your iPad and anywhere you have internet access, you can make phone calls free to any other Skype users.  If  your iPhone or iPad includes 3G and you have a SkypeOut option on your account, you can make free phone calls.  It’s about 3 bucks a month for SkypeOut.  SkypeOut allows you to call any phone from your Skype account.  They also have international rates and versions too, but Skype is a whole other column.  For now, add Skype to your i-device.
Pandora – Pandora is internet Radio.  It is a nice concept.  You create your account, log in, and then create your own “stations”.  Pandora then begins to choose and stream music from that Genre.  It’s a great app.  I plug my iPhone into my car radio and listen often.  Who needs XM?
NightStand – Night Stand is an app that turns your iPhone or iPad into a clock radio.  The reason I like it, is that my charging dock is next to my bedside table and using this app as my alarm clock reminds me to charge my iPhone.  It works great too, as a travel alarm clock.
MyLite – A simple flashlight application that turns your phone or tablet into a flashlight.  It simply makes your touch screen light up.  I have used this application on my iPad during a power outage.  I started the application and laid it down on the coffee table and the entire room was well lit.  5 – 10 hours of battery time too.  I have also used this application when working on PC’s or servers in tight spaces with dim light.  With this app, you’ll always have a flashlight in your pocket if you carry your phone everywhere like I do.
Facebook – this one is self explanatory if you are a Facebook user.  There is no Facebook app yet specifically for the iPad, but it should be out soon. 

DoodleJump – a great, fun game.  Trust me.


Mobile Talk -  If you are a big talk radio fan, you must download this application.  It streams talk radio 24-7.

The Weather Channel – maps and videos look amazing on the iPad. 

Epicurious – simply the best looking cookbook I’ve seen, and it’s free.  It also will create a shopping list for you based on the dish ingredients.  Great app if you like to cook and have a culinary inquisitive side.
Zillow.com – real estate finder.  In the market?  You must get this app.  It can even use GPS to show you available houses in your area.

Well, those ought to keep you busy for a while.  Hope you enjoy your new i-device.

Ranks all of the applications above as "Well Done"

No comments:

Post a Comment